Custom Search
Windsor,Ontario Canada

There are over 200 photos posted here so far. To view more photos click older post near the bottom of each page.



Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens

Well, since I have had some time getting used to the Sigma 150-500mm lens, I have found it to be fairly good. For the money, if you were to buy a 500mm lens from, well lets say a brand name like Canon, Nikon, Sony. First, what camera you use, you would have to buy that make of lens for the mount to fit your camera, these, in especially the 500 range, are very expensive. Say around $5.000 and up. Then there is another choice, Third party lens companies such as Sigma or Tamron. I have never owned any tamron lenses, so I cannot give an opinion, although I have read good things, Now Sigma I have in the past owned a 24mm sigma back in early 1990 and I still have it although it is in a drawer with so much of my older equipment and it was a manual lens, I loved that lens.
Now I have this new Sigma lens and have been using it and I really love the zoom from 150mm. I use it so often and find I am not limited to one focal length. The quality, well I would not rate it a 10 but, 10 would be a prime $6.000 dollar lens and would not be fair at all to compare. A 500mm lens with hyper-sonic motor (HSM), and mine is so quiet, I cannot hear it. Optical Stabilizer OS-1 and OS-2, OS-1 is for normal handholding and steadies up and down movement. OS-2 is for panning, for birds in flight, aviation or even sports. APO, Apochromatic, refers to corrections for the fact that light colors have
different wave lengths and therefore focus in different planes.
the lens designer utilizes apochronatic correction to correct for this, and it is a DG lens, DG is a coating Sigma puts on there new lenses so they are ready for digital.
Now all this for around a $1.000 dollars, and I know I said I would not rate the image quality a 10 but if you practice good photographic skills such as a Tripod and or proper hand holding technique in the proper lighting, you will get awesome results, so I give it a solid 8.The only thing that makes this lens more difficult to use is the fact that it has an aperture of only f5-6.3, so you need lots of light.I do recommend this lens for anyone on a budget, and as far as sigma goes, I will be buying the 10-20mm lens soon. I found some good prices on the 150-500mm lens if anyone is interested in buying one. I got mine on amazon and paid a little more than this about five months ago. But I do recomend shopping around a little more, there still could be sales at other places on Amazon.


               330mm,1/160sec, f 6.3, ISO-800, hand held.


                                            Great Horned Owl
                            500mm, 1/160sec, f 11, ISO-400, on 
                            a Manfrotto tripod, fill flash was also 
                            used.
                                                      

       

1 comment:

  1. Rеmarkable!Its tгuly amazin&X67; piece of wrіting, І hаѵe got much clear idea a&X62;out from thіs pоѕt.


    Here i&X73; my web si&X74;e; webрa&X67;e ()

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search